Sunday, February 10, 2008

Surrounded by such a...

OK, so... I'm decadent. It's winter in Kabul, I had my buddies over to watch Firefly tonight, which meant firing up the stove. And since it's going, I might as well keep feeding it... since I have a small room... I'm wearing shorts and a T-shirt. It's decadent, like I said.

Today was a pretty good day. It started with French Bakery, went to white chili, nan, and chocolate muffins for lunch, then hamburgers and french fried chips for supper, to hot chocolate and skittles during Firefly. Yeah, today was a good food day.

The rest of today was fine. I got the promo video done and sent off with the director to a conference. He seemed really pleased with it, which is good, but I wasn't too happy with it. I've just been out of the editing practice for too long, and I should have done a lot differently. I may start working on it on my off time, to make it better.

It's days like today that I walk out of my office, and wonder what happened that I have been given this opportunity to be here. Who am I, that I could be used, was brought to this place. My skills don't exactly line up with what I'm doing, my life experiences wouldn't suggest that I have the capability to exist here well. My walk is not as strong as it should be, my obedience at times faulty. Even so, I am here, through no agency of my own. And in wondering these things, I come upon a realization of something; this place really is not far different from anywhere else. It is where I have been brought now, I should wonder equally why I was taken down the path that I have been on until now, for I deserve none of the blessings that I have been given. And I am convinced that neither heights nor depths of the sea can take me away.

And I remember I'll soon be dead. And what a day that will be.

No comments: