Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Plucking two strings on a six string

I wanted to tell you that I listened, but it would have been a lie. I was thinking of what I would do or say next.

I wanted to tell you that I had a home once, but I gave it away, I lost it, I left it behind, and something tells me that I won't miss it. It wouldn't have lasted anyway, and I'm exactly sure you would understand that.

I wanted to tell you that I just had to turn the corner, and all this darkness would run away forever, but for every corner I conquer, there's another one to be faced.

I wanted to tell you that this dream you seem to be putting me into is going to fade like everything else that I touch, but I got so enamored with the scenery that I let you down.

I wanted to tell you that I missed you, but I don't think this feeling takes the form for me that it does for you, and so I think if I said I would be misleading you.

I wanted to tell you that I'm not who I used to be, and I'm failing at who I'm supposed to be.

I wanted to tell you that this is the last time I do anything like this, but I can't say it with any assurance that it is true.

I wanted to tell you that I love you, but I don't know what that really means.

I wanted to tell you that I say these things, and they're not all to one person, but then you'd just try to figure out who you are in this list.

I wanted to tell you that I'll let you down someday.

I wanted to tell you that I know someone who is not me, and who is who I want to be.

2 comments:

Michaela said...

Do you enjoy poetry?

Russ said...

Not really. I just do things like this every once in a while as a thematic way to explain what's going on with me.