Wednesday, February 06, 2008

A simple word

Earlier today, I was taking video of the school. I decided, "Going up on top of Bldg C might get me some good shots, I got good photos last time we went up there." So I go on top of Bldg C, get some footage. Go to leave, and try to pull the door open, and it absolutely won't budge. Not opening at all. Nothing happening. Those doors have the spring locks, and I figure, I'm definitely locked in. On top of Bldg C. Great. Now, I had just seen our admin assistant walking into BldgC, so I figured I could call her instead ofone of the maintenance staff or any of the teachers, and have her come unlock the doors so I can get down. She comes up, looks at the door for a second, then pulls it open, and says, "It wasn't locked."

So, figure out what I did? That's right. I tried to pull open a door that I should have pushed, and then figured I was locked in. I figured it out as soon as she pulled the door open, so I just said, "Well, I couldn't get it open. Maybe it was stuck."

That's me. Solving problems wherever I go.

A pretty good day did I have today. I got up a little late, which made my morning a little rushed. I never have problems getting up when it is warm out, but when it's cold, getting up is the last thing I want to do. Anyway, then it was barfing out, and none of our maintenance staff was here yet, so I decided to shovel a path in the barf so our kids and staff didn't have to walk through it. I would get a path shoveled, look back, and there was barf all over again. I had barf all over my hair, the kids were tracking barf all over the buildings, but it was a good workout, and I enjoyed shoveling the barf.

Barf is the local word for snow. Sorry, that was kind of juvenile, but I enjoyed it. The fresh snowfall was one of the most beautiful things I saw today. I know it causes problems for people, especially those with mud roofs, but the country needs the moisture, and it was just so nice looking coming down.

Anyway, I worked on the promotional video more today, it's mostly there, just needs polishing. I got into a snowball fight with high-schoolers around lunch (fun), got to help out sick friends (fun), play taboo (semi-fun), and now I'm blogging.

The more that I live here, the more I see that I have a chance to have an impact on people's lives. I remember thinking and writing before I left that I would just be back in the shadows, never really affecting people, but supporting the people who are making a difference. I see now that this is a short-sighted view. Everyone, anyone can have an impact, can make a difference in the lives of others. No matter what our skills or our vocation or personality.

I have again a theme that I want to develop before posting. Stay tuned, there could be a deep post coming in the next day or two.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There was lots of barf here today:) We had no school---lots of time to play in the barf!