Thursday, November 22, 2007

Ready to smile

Yesterday was Thanksgiving.

It's the quiet holidays like this that make me miss what I used to know. Family gatherings. Food. Quiet games. Thanksgiving plays. Leaf pile adventures. The crisp air, the cold rain. Curling up under a blanket and reading for an hour or five. Where I was has been pretty good to me.

Now, I'm in a new place. Yesterday was, as far as I can remember, only the second Thanksgiving day I've spent away from family, and that time, I still made it back for the big get together on Saturday. I called the Grandparents yesterday, and I'm planning to call the folks at my house on Saturday, but that's not the same as being there.

And so, things in life change, not always as I would like them, but what matters doesn't. I am in a place where I have so much to be thankful for. I have running water, clean water to drink, fairly reliable power, heating, a job, so many amenities, wonderful friends. I have a sense of purpose for being here that I lacked where I was. I have opportunities to impact, chances to see the things I do really making a difference for people.

Thankfulness is an attitude, a desire we have to cultivate wherever we are, whatever we are faced with. There is joy to be found in all situations, even the ones we don't see it in.

I ran the 10k yesterday morning in what I think was a fairly respectable 46:54. I got 8th overall, I was right around the front of the non-fanatic runner crowd. Not having run that distance ever, and being at 6000 ft, my goal was to break 50 minutes, or stay around 8 minute miles, and I did, so I was happy. Our third-grade teacher won the women's 5k race in 25 minutes, so we felt pretty well represented in the race.

I cooked a turkey yesterday that turned out OK. We had a nice meal and then a nice relaxing time playing games afterwards. No football, which I was disappointed at, but I did go out and shoot baskets for a while with a friend. It was kind of cold, but a nice night to just shoot and talk quietly.

Frisbee today, and then back to work Saturday. Semester is winding down, and life is proceeding. Lots to be thankful for, lots to consider quietly, and so much to not know and just Trust for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi bro, and Happy Thanksgiving a few days late (but I did email you on time) :)

I noticed you changed your sidebar.