Thursday, November 29, 2007

Quiet company

Today has been a quiet day of light work a procrastination. An exciting day, for it rained and was overcast here! Now, some of you may be thinking, "Big Deal. It's like that all the time here!" Well, it's not here. This is the first time that it has rained since the first day of school. And that was a sunny shower. So this is the first time that the weather has been different in months. It was nice, it did snow just a little, but mostly just cold rain. We walked down to the French Bakery in the morning, then played a few games of Carcassonne after breakfast, then I worked on some things that I had volunteered to do for Meeting tomorrow. It's just been a nice, quiet day with quiet company.

I've got some unformed thoughts about a lot of the things that are happening in this country, and in the world. There are many things that happen and occur here that I wish were different. We live and work in interesting times, and this country grows different in ways that were unanticipated in prior days. Nevertheless, I know that none of this was unknown, and that we will never walk alone.

The seasons are changing, and so are the moods of people here. The anticipation of what is coming, both in the holidays and in the break from school, is growing among my friends here. Many of us are getting excited about seeing family again, and the people that are not going to visit family are excited about their breaks and destinations. I'm really looking forward to visiting friends and family. I do think the return from here to the States is going to be, in some ways, more of a culture shock than coming here was. There will be just lots more different, I'll be away from the close community that I've joined here, and somehow, I think the American lifestyle will feel more foreign to me that what I'm used to here.

However, I know I'll be able to get back used to it, especially with central heating, milk, and the ability to drive. I really want to drive.

Raise up the banner. Take back your homes.

No comments: