Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Because the sun stands still.

So, if you were unaware, our days here are a little different than your days in the states.

What do I mean by that? See, our weekend is Thursday and Friday. Which does make the week a little strange when you think about it by days. First, our 'Monday' is Saturday (the first day of the work week.) Sometimes it does feel a little strange to be working on Saturday and Sunday. But then the good thing is, you get to Monday and Tuesday, and it feels like you're getting to kick off early in the week, even though you worked all five days, since Wednesday night starts off the weekend.

So, Tuesdays can be great. Today, even though I didn't get a lot of 'tasks' accomplished (you know, didn't get things done that I can say, "Boy, now I'm done with that."), I did feel productive today. And I had car line and Jr. High Basketball, which is a great way to end the day, really. I like car line, mostly because it's as much exposure as I get to the kids. I also enjoy basketball, even if the kids don't have the level of skill I wish they did.

In addition to this, Tuesdays are sometimes Frisbee days. Which is just flat out fun. I'm getting more skilled at this game, and am actually semi competent at it now. And we ate at the cafeteria afterwards (it sounded more appetizing than zucchini casserole), which is always a kind of treat, even if they it's not the most terrific food, it does feel mostly American.

Mostly, though, Tuesdays are good because they just are. The longer I am here all of the things I get to experience in normal life seem to bring me a simple joy. There are certainly some extraordinary circumstances that happen here, that I hope I don't get desensitized to. We didn't think we would be able to go to Frisbee tonight because of some things that happened here this morning. I hope I don't get desensitized to the real turmoil and struggle that goes on here, just because I have some level of insulation from it.

And it is these things, the terrors and the simple joys that remind me some things never change. All of this will fade and pass away, but what do we seek? Here there is no lasting city, but we seek the city that is to come.

No comments: