Monday, August 13, 2007

I don't have issues...

... I have subscriptions.

Well, not really, at the moment. It's just a favorite saying of mine, made a favorite about a while ago.

I realized earlier today that next Monday will be the first full day I ever spend in a primary or secondary school while it is in session. Fact of the matter, I can't think of any significant time I've spent in a primary or secondary educational institution during a normal school day. This is going to be interesting.


Anyway, today not much happened, and yet a lot. The electrician finally finished wiring the computer lab, only for me to find out that there are apparently no power cables for any of the 17 computers or monitors. So either I have to find them, or we go buy them. The second option is not something I am looking forward too, but something we may have to deal with. Additionally, I have a dorm building to which the network has not been working for a couple of days, and I think I need to get new cable run. However, I haven't gotten it done yet. I really should. Finally, I've been taking a rather more relaxed attitude toward work. I work from about 7:00ish to 5:30ish, and haven't gone back in later the past two days. I don't know if that's the best attitude, but the way things are going, it's not all going to get done no matter how much I work. This way, I don't kill myself too early.

Additionally, we had new staff orientation today. Obviously, I can't talk about everything that we talked about, but it just reminded me how different this place is from home. Cultural things like, here it is impolite to ask someone to pass something to you at the table (it is rude to interrupt someone else's eating), and it is the height of politeness to reach across the table and grab something. Furthermore, appearance and honor are far different concepts here than home. Just things to think about as I continue on in life.

There's some stuff happening in country that has a different meaning to me than it did just a few weeks ago, for several reasons. In many ways, this land is dark and not getting lighter. Yet there is a Light that is flourishing in ways that we cannot see.

Finally, I received some somewhat depressing news from home. This was not entirely desirable, but in many ways, it serves as a reminder that not a thing in this life is permanent, and this life should be used in that knowledge.

No comments: