Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Whither invigoration....?


I got my new MacBook. In point of fact, I am typing this blog post on said MacBook. I am rather unfamiliar with the key layout for common tasks, but that's ok. I'm sure I'll get more used to it as it goes on... It has this semi-interesting integrated little camera, that lets you take wonky little pictures, so here, I provide you with one. I need to figure out Boot Camp so I can dual boot this puppy to XP, so I can use it when I need to.

Tonight, I played some soccer, first half, did ok. We were winning because we had a couple of the good high school kids scavenged over for us. I'm assuming they did fine the second half, I had to go because....

We had baseball, and I was semi-in charge. The kids played a good first inning, and good top of the second, but then we struck out 9 times in a row, and gave up lots of runs. Disappointing.

I guess I haven't really posted a lot about the rest of life recently, so, here, perhaps, goes.

I have a fair amount of work that should be completed shortly. I've got new guy here next week, so next week is going to be training him. Ten more days. Time seems to have gone by pretty fast. I'm probably not going to get everything done, but that's the way it goes. I'm fairly confident about the hands that I'll be leaving my work in, I think he has the tools and background to do a good job, probably a much better job than I could do. Some people might dispute that statement, but this guy is going to be pretty good.

I'm trying to get all of my paperwork sorted, stuff sent, scanned, supernumerated...

I am struggling to understand the role that I am going to be undertaking upon my arrival there, with regards to my approach to others. I'm not an outgoing person, really, and tend to be insular and not necessarily needing to be involved in all of the latest and greatest activities. This presents something of a conundrum, as I will be involved with a fairly small community, one that will naturally try to draw me in. This makes me worried that perhaps if I do not fit in as well as I would like, I will not necessarily be able to adjust as well as some others could, and that I might turn some people off because I'm not hyper talkative, and can be fairly obtuse at times.

I also sometimes wonder about my ability to cope in a foreign culture.

This post is getting heavy, it's getting late, and I think perhaps the thing for me to do at this point is conclude it and say, adroitly, abstraction.

No comments: