Monday, March 05, 2007

Kurtosis and Serendipity

xkcd is awesome.

Anyway, I guess I haven't posted in a while. Sorry for all of you waiting for the Defenstration fix.

Thanks to all who answered last week's name that person question. Special thanks to Brandon for entirely getting the point of the exercise, and mocking me. I always know I can count on you! Still, no one could come up with that definitive word. Does this mean that I'm non-standard, or does this mean that I have no coherent personality?

Last week was the tournament. We did ok to pretty well. My Jr. High B team lost both of their games, but I half expected that after seeing the other teams' rosters. But, the kids really played well, and I think they really enjoyed it. So it was a win-win all around, even though we didn't get on the W side of either game. My A team won 5th, we lost the first game 55-7 (yeah, I was a little miffed at the opposing coach.), but then won the next two, South Central and then Manhattan. So, overall, the Jr. High was a success. High School won their first game, then lost by 10, in a game where we shot 25% and our opponents shot 45%. So I really didn't think we had much to hang our heads about, some times you just can't get shots to fall. The last game, we won by about 20, and finished in third! Like I said, pretty successful tournament. The Jr. High girls made 5th, and the H.S. girls got third, I think we finished 7-7 for the week. Additionally, the tournament went well, I would say there were no major problems. Well, except for our concession stand blowing the breaker that also ran overhead lights in one of the gyms so that they played the game from 3 clean-up fluorescents.

As far as the rest of life... I don't have to get up ridiculously early anymore! Although I am thinking about doing it to go work out in the mornings. We'll see how long this lasts. I am enjoying not having to get up until 6:30ish, though. I mean, I really like coaching basketball, but it does start to wear me down. I think I am about through with sound at church, I think they've finally started to get some other people interested in doing it, which means that I am not going to have to be there for everything anymore. This is a positive event, in my mind, as it means that I won't have to deal with it all the time, and I can have more patience to spread everywhere else. In distraction news, Supreme Commander is highly enjoyable. I have finished two of the three campaigns, and have had a good time with it. Once I do finish the third, it's off to some skirmish for a while, and also beat Dungeon Siege II.

Leading to other comments. Now that basketball is done, I've suddenly got a lot more free time. I also don't have an easy source of ego boost, or emotional gratification. What I'm trying to say is that maybe in some ways, I'm too wrapped up in basketball. Or maybe that I have been ignoring other things, and so I used basketball to justify my apathy, or replace the needs. Just like how I eat too much junk food instead of real food. After a while, even though the junk food tastes good, you can't sustain yourself on it. I'm not growing, I'm slipping. Maybe now I'll be able to re-focus. Maybe. Maybe too, if I get this sound stuff straightened out, and I can teach Sunday School or go back to Sunday School, it will get better. Maybe if I can get up just ten minutes early, and spend time reading the Bible each day, I'll be able to snap out of the funk that I feel I'm in.

Unfortunately, even though I know actually working on a relationship with Christ is the best thing for me, I can't get having another kind of relationship out of my head. I also get frustrated by my shallowness. Maybe that girl. Well, she's good looking enough, but is she smart enough? That other girl is smart, but she's not physically attractive to me. Maybe her. Well, no, I don't like this part of her personality. Maybe her? No, she's way, way, way out of my league. Maybe her? I don't know her well enough. Frustrating, as these are paraphrased mental dialogues that I have within my head. Self centered narcisism is all I bring to the table. Therefore, I don't think any women are attracted to me, so it feels like I would be forcing it. Forcing them to go out with me. I mean, so maybe there's this girl that I might be interested in. But I don't really know where to go from there. Take your advice and leave me alone, it's not that I don't know what to do. I don't know why to do it.

Hey, I've got a great solution! Are there any women out there (who are not related to me) who read my blog and think I'm an interesting person who you might consider going out with? Send me an e-mail! Or if you can't figure out my e-mail address, comment on my blog with your email address. This simple act on your part will throw me into a further emotionally unstable state, and I'll have to ignore you for a not inconsiderable period of time while I attempt to normalize my reaction to your action. Meanwhile, you'll get frustrated at my lack of response, and realize that really, I'm a jerk. Therefore, when I do get around to talking to you, in an inarticulate, stuttering manner, you're be disinclined to have any kind of relationship with me. So it's a win-win! You have no functional commitment, and I'll have another opportunity to misunderstand how to proceed in life. What could possibly go wrong?

Wow, this was wide-ranging and schizophrenic. I'll leave you with one question :

Why is a raven like a writing desk?

No comments: