Monday, May 23, 2011

Fine Tuning

Well, we're still here. It's interesting.

I've been in a Monday Morning men's group for a couple months now, and we are talking about leadership.

This post is not directly about leadership.

I have a series of not completely formed thoughts on the vital complement to leadership, following. I am not the best follower, but I've been thinking about it for a while. Many people tell you how to be a good leader. Here are some of my thoughts on how to bea good follower.

The most obvious one is also the one that doesn't matter to the rest of this guide. You can be a good follower if you have a good leader. Please note that picking a good leader to follow is not always obvious, and in fact, someone who others say is a terrific leader (for them) can be a horrible leader (for you), and vice versa. I once worked for a boss whom I considered a very good boss, I never had any real problems working for him or subordinating myself to him. Many of his other employees could not say the same thing. Does that make him a bad leader? Well, maybe for them, but for me he was a great leader. Picking your leader is not the topic of this post, but had to be addressed.

No comments: