Sunday, August 23, 2009

Trials to fit

Today. This was a good day. I got a good chunk of work done, I still have a daunting amount to get done before school starts, but that's OK. We do what we must because we can.

There's a kind of simplicity in what is happening here right now. Do not mistake me, the situation of the country I live in is far from simple, and I am not so naive to think that it is easily explainable. However, as I look back in history across our world, this is a situation that has played itself out half a thousand times in the last fifty years. Not with all the nuances and not as though one could look at history as a simple guide for how to navigate the waters. No, I did not say the situation is simple, just that there is a kind of simplicity in it. I think what it comes down to is thus: how important is all of this 'history' we let ourselves get caught up in?

What else should we expend our lives on?

This simple thing is a far cry from what I see around me.

I chose to open myself to being poured out daily, and if I burn at both ends, I burn twice as bright and do my best to be joyful for the opportunity.

Amnesty, please. Amnesty from all that drags down, amnesty from the pettiness I let myself become steeped in, amnesty from the ashes that steel me, amnesty from the words and the lies and the threats, amnesty that I don't deserve.

Song sound so much sadder when you realize the hope behind them has given out. I refuse to drown in that sea.

No comments: