Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Paperthin

Every once in a while, I think about things that happened a long time ago.

Days like this are those once in a while.

I remember scavenger hunts at Coronado Heights. I remember proudly telling mom this was the last day I would be three. I remember cornbread, pot roast, fried chicken and chocolate cake. I remember treasure hunts all over the house. I remember an immaculate Sean in the midst of a mud-splattered group.

I think about where I might be in the future. I think about my cousin graduating from high school. I think about sitting in my boss's office and telling him I'm leaving. I think about going back to the States this summer. I think about who I used to be. I think about not knowing who I am going to be.

I got sung to, cheered at, got cake and cards. People may think it's weird that I don't tell people about my birthday, but the thing is, when you don't make a big deal about it, you know that the people that mention it, that take the time to find it out when I try to hide it, those are the people that really care.

I got e-mails from my family and friends back home. Thanks, folks. My Mom and Dad called me. That was really nice.

I am fine again. I'm glad for days like today. Even when they don't turn out like I planned, they make it seem like it's been forever since I've been gone.

No comments: