Sunday, December 23, 2007

I've got all of my steps

Back in the U.S. This place is weird. I have been packing my stuff up, which is disconcerting, but it's what you do when you're leaving. Feels weird to come back to move. Anyway, it's been weird, but good. It's been fun to see and talk to people. Christmas comes in two days, and I am looking forward to spending it with family.

Thus far, it has been strange to be back in the U.S. I feel like I just slipped right back into life. I mean, I drove 90 minutes back home from the airport on Thursday. I've gone to the grocery store, driven around town, visited family, and it's almost like I never left.

But it is like I'm in a different place. Realization overtakes me that you can't return home, but you can go to home. This feels like home, and at the same time, I know there's a different place I call home. And there's another place I call Home, that really is Home. Like I said in an earlier post, my definition of home has changed in the last 5-6 months. Home doesn't seem as much to be a physical place anymore. Home is an abstract concept that you carry with you and can make wherever you go.

One thing that I have done while home, while working on packing, is ripping a bunch of CDs that I had that I never had ripped, so I can listen to them in Kabul. Some of it is older stuff, like older AudioA, dcTalk, Bleach, Supertones, and some of it is semi-newer stuff that I just didn't rip. I've of course also been listening to it, and it is kind of like a little trip down memory lane, to remember where I was and what I was doing or involved with when I listened to those CDs for the first time.

It's about time to go to FCC, which will be good. I'm looking forward to seeing some people, and being in fellowship.

In brief summary, the U.S. is weird, I'm weird, and it's good to be here.

No comments: